Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Moonlight Serenade

Pastor Jodoma and I were just coming to the end of our discussions as the sun was rapidly sinking below the horizon when there came a, Jam Nyalli (did you spend the day in peace) from a griot I know from one of the local villages, along with his brother. The griots are those who turn up at occasions such as weddingsand naming ceremonies to recite family's genealogy. The brother was carrying his hoddu which is a guitar like instrument made of wood, stretched goat skin and a single string. I was semi expecting this chap to pop round a few days ago and so was a little taken aback by his delayed timing. Anyway, he proceeded, along with his brother, to play and recite a tune they had put together about me. To be honest I felt a little embarrassed and somewhat flattered at the same time and with the moon light now reflecting off the lake behind our house it was very atmospheric. A short while later they headed off into the night with a little something for their evening meal. I think they were reasonably content with their evenings work and I'm quite sure we'll see them again at some point now they know where we live.

0 comments: