A flying visit
As the Djibo pastor and I drove though Kongoussi we knew that the smooth ride was just about to come to an end. Not having visited Djibo for five months I had nearly forgotten how bad the road dirt could get on the northern side of this provincial town. To drive on it you wouldn't think that it was the main road to the north of Burkina servicing both one of the countries larger gold mines and the largest cattle market in Burkina.
For a long time Djibo has always felt like a forgotten town, only visited when absolutely necessary. For me, however, it's always a little like coming home in a strange kind of way. As we drive though the streets heading into Djibo town people do double takes and then wave frantically. Familiar faces, sights & smells... very happy to forget some of the smells though.
Although the trip was only a short visit it was packed with greeting and visiting friends. Being rainy season it's often hard reaching some of the outlying villages and so, on the Wednesday morning, I headed down to the cattle market. It's the one day of the week when the bush comes into town. As I made my way through the livestock, some with precariously long horns, I gained fresh incite as to why the hunted have eyes on the side of the head and not the front as I make every effort to avoid being impaled by one of these magnificent beasts.
It was an absolute thrill to be able to catch up with Fulani friends from outlying villages as we joked and chatted in the midst of the jostling cattle. By the time I left it was midday and I had run out of water and beginning to feel the effects. The afternoon was spent visiting more friends and by the time Thursday afternoon came I had acquired a travelling companion for my trip back down to the capital.
Muhamed is a Touareg friend I have known for many years, and as we headed back down the poor excuse for a road we talked West African politics, Tuareg uprisings and Al-Qaida. An interesting conversation as we switched between French and Fulfulde as we searched for a fuller vocabulary to express ourselves. An interesting conversation as we exited the Sahel region of Burkina Faso.
About Me
- The Gibsons on-line
- I live in Burkina Faso with my wife, Cheryl, and three children and have not yet found a house for us to live in and I work amongst the Fulani people.
0 comments:
Post a Comment