Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Where the grass is a little greener. for more of the year anyway!

Having brought the family down to Ouagadougou for the children's MK schooling program I (Mark) headed off to Tenkodogo on the Tuesday where some colleagues of ours have been working amongst the Fulani for 12 years.  Tenkodogo is located approximately 130km south west of Ouaga located in the region of Boulgou which is quite a contrast to the north in relation to its climate and vegetation.   

 

Having arrived in Tenkodogo just in time for lunch I was able to spend the remainder of the day chatting about our work in the north and other aspects of Fulani ministry.  The next morning we had an early start and were on the road by 6:30 heading towards Busama, a village half an hour's drive away where our colleagues have spent the best part of 12 years ministering to and serving the Fulani of that area.  

 

On our arrival we were greeted by one of the ladies in the village who 6 years earlier had needed a blood transfusion in Ouagadougou for a medical condition she had.  I happened to be one of the donors with one of those blood types that can be used by most people (This is not a general offer by the way).   When she realised I was one of those who's blood she received she gushed with a torrent of Tiabus, mi Yetii maas. Etc (roughly translated… thank you very much).  And that evening, as a way of thanks for my donation, we were brought a very ample bowl of Nyiri (Millet porridge) accompanied by the most delicious source I have ever tasted out here (no offence meant to those Jelgoobe Fulani of the Djibo area… your source is nice to, just not as nice as this ladies).

 

I had a great time down in that part of Burkina with our friends.  It really was a shame that Cheryl couldn't have come as well.  But I guess it would have been a little irresponsible to leave our kids to fend for themselves in Ouaga n'est pas!

0 comments: