Monday, February 12, 2007

Looking for paint... came back with a baby

Just had one of those days.  There are some things I thought were straightforward to get hold of in Djibo such as paint.  It seems that today, however, most of the shop keepers were away hunting for customers or something.  But just as I was awaiting for one boutique owner to return from his wanderings I was approached by a good friend of mine.  "Jam Waali", I called out and he reciprocated the greeting and then went on to tell me that his wife had just given birth in the hospital and he was in the process of looking for someone to take mother and baby home.  Just having obtained a new car I thought "Why shouldn't our Prado double up as a courtesy ambulance".  And so off we both went to the hospital where we found Fatimata and their new born son (To be named in seven days time in keeping with Fulani/Muslim tradition).  Accompanied by a number of older ladies who obviously would have aided my friend's wife in her moment of need, we set off in the direction of home, just a few minutes away.  The last time they has a child I was also called upon to perform this essential task of chauffeur.  It really was quite nice to be able to do this little thing for them this time as well.
Soon after I returned on my quest for paint... to no avail, however.  At least the morning wasn't completely wasted.

0 comments: